Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: Sisterhood Everlasting, by Ann Brashares


     Since it's way too hot out there to do anything but plop yourself on a beach towel and read a book, I want to suggest this one, but with a disclaimer - it's SAD.

      Last week, at the start of my "I'm going to be spending 6 weeks shuffling papers in the various basements of my workplace" saga, I took my sweaty (sun-deprived) self to Costco on the way home from work to pick up a few things.  I scanned the book table, although in the past few years I've promised myself not to BUY new books when I can borrow them from the library instead.  When I spotted this,  however, I HAD to buy it.  I'm a fan of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, and this is a new installment.  I had learned about the Pants series a few years ago when I was teaching 7th graders.  The girls in my class talked about it now and then, and when I checked it out for myself, I loved the dynamic between Lena, Tibby, Bridget and Carmen.  I especially related to Lena and Tibby, and those of us like them can sure use friends like Bridget and Carmen.  I have friends like that. 

     So when I saw this book, I was anxious to catch up with these friends... 

     But Holy Moses, this book was not what I expected!  The book was barely underway when tragedy struck.  Was I misunderstanding the handwriting on the wall?  What was going on?    How would it all end?  YIKES!  I was looking to find out what happened to Kostos, and in that, I was not disappointed.  Other than that the book is aptly named, and if you are fan of the series, you can't not read it.  Just be sure to plop a box of tissues on the beach blanket next to your beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment