Yesterday afternoon I spent a few hours up at school with three girls from stage crew, three older girls from the high school, and my own two kids. Unlike Alice in Wonderland, where I had to build fabric mushrooms and make a bunch of props, this show involves mostly painting... but so MUCH painting. I have to paint the desks (I'm showing 6 in the picture above, but I might use up to 8 of them)
and all those flats (the rectangles) that you see in the drawing as well.
As for props, so far I just have to make a large painting of a train engine, and a large painting of a ferry. I found a picture of each online, photocopied them onto a overhead sheets, and we're now in the process of tracing the first one onto a 4x8' sheet of 1/4" plywood. This is an easy task, but of course, none of the kids want to do it because it's tedious and exacting. If you move the sheet of plywood before you're done tracing, your lines get all messed up. Below is the sheet of plywood with the train half traced on it. Unfortunately, you can't see all the lines.
I decided that we're going to paint the large cube with the step as if it were covered in bricks, so Monday at lunch, I'm setting up everything so that the big girls can work on it that afternoon. I'll need to clear an area in the green room (which, unfortunately, doubles as a storage room for racks of folding chairs), lay out the drop cloth, put the cube on it, set up grey paint, rollers and brushes, and explicit directions for them so that they don't do something like forget to wash the paint brushes when they're done. Then we can layer on the bricks on Tuesday, and accent them with more colors later on in the week. I DON'T want my props looking flat this year.
Here's the large cube. I'm currently using it as both a door stop and a table.
Oh, wait, I also have to make the 10 planets. Make that nine planets and the sun. Jeez, maybe I should should work on those tonight.