Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Snowy-Night Project - Seagull Wings


This is a front seat view of my commute home this afternoon.  The traffic was moving at about 25 miles per hour, which is why I was able to snap this picture.  Once I was home, and dinner was over, some really pressing questions filled my mind...  How am I going to make it through a nice cozy evening at home without overdoing it on the snack eating?  Visions of ice cream filled my mind...  the Oreos my husband bought yesterday called me from the kitchen counter...  I thought about having some carrots instead, but alas!  Carrots do not taste at all like ice cream.

I finally admitted to myself it was time to stop procrastinating and make the damn seagull wings I had promised I would make for the school play.


You probably don't need step by step instructions on how to make these - they are relatively simple and you really don't even need to know how to sew if you're handy with a hot glue gun.  The pair I was copying this design from was hot glued, not sewn.  

Still, when you are cutting multiple layers of "feathers" out of felt and then sitting in a teeny, tiny chair in front of a large rubbermaid tote on which your sewing machine is perched, even a simple project can take a long time.  Especially when you're making 3 pairs of wings... and each wing has 9 layers. 


I realized, though, that sewing is a good thing to do when you're trying to avoid eating junk food.  Mainly because it requires two hands.  Unless you want to risk sewing over your finger with your machine.  Which hurts a lot.  Don't ask me how I know this. 

In this picture, the wings are just draped over the arms...


These are actually almost done - they still need elastic on the back side of each of them to hold them to the wearer's arms, and also to hold them together, but I don't have elastic.  I'm hoping I can get someone else to take care of that step.  Right now, I'm tired.  

Too tired even to eat snack.  

Thank goodness...  

No comments:

Post a Comment