Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Additional Fabric for Queen of Hearts Costume



When I last posted, I had just purchased a jacket and two pieces of fabric for my Queen of Hearts costume from Savers.  This past weekend, I went to Joann Fabric and Craft store.  I knew I wanted a black and white checked fabric.  I found one with alternating squares of black and white, but that looked too much like a flag on a car racing track.  Then I found this - diamond checks.  I thought I might use it for the large collar of her dress, and maybe some highlights on other areas. PERFECT.  I bought 3 yards of it.  I checked out the Valentine's Day fabric, but nothing really spoke to me.  Then I found this lovely photographic roses print.  This is perfect for the Queen of Hearts, right?  I mean, all that talk about painting the roses red, etc.  I got three yards of this, also.  I seriously had no idea how I was going to use these prints, but I figured I could decide at home. 

Back at the ranch, (so to speak) I knew that I wanted to remove the sleeves on the blazer, so I did that right away.  I was left with this: 


Although the jacket is lined, it was pretty easy to take the sleeves and lining off with a seam ripper.  I think I'll have to cut the shoulders back a little bit and make the arm holes a little bigger to accommodate the puffy sleeves I have in mind.  I thought about the checks for the collar and now I can't decide if that will be too busy of a print next to the face, especially with the roses print thrown in there.  I'm thinking of going with a big white collar and maybe making a piping around the edge of the collar in the checked print.  To get a feel for how all of this would look, I decided to lay the fabric out on a flat surface so I could picture it better.  


Here's my plain red, alternating with the roses print.  Then I decided maybe I can use the checked fabric as a belt highlight along the waistline.  There must be a proper name for that, but I don't know what it is.  (I definitely didn't need 3 yards of the checked print, but oh well.  See below:


I liked the checks in that spot, but it seemed a little too busy with the brocade weave of the plain red.  I added some black in between... (which is actually not fabric, but a t-shirt dress I had hanging around - I'll have to buy the black fabric).  When I added the black, I liked it a lot better.  I also put the end of the roses print under the black jacket to simulate puffed sleeves.  NOW, it's kind of coming together...


I still have the pink fabric (tablecloth) from Savers.  I'm thinking it might look good cut into heart shapes and sewn in a line down the black strips of fabric in the skirt.  Maybe I can add one strip of black with pink hearts down the sleeves, too, to bring the pink up to the top half of the outfit as well.  I'm feeling encouraged to continue this project.  So now I need to buy a few yards of black fabric and some white for the collar.  Oh, and a bit of iron on interfacing to stiffen the collar and to iron on the back of the pink for when I cut out the hearts.  Hoping to  make some more progress by the end of this coming weekend.  Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment