Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Craziness... waiting for Irene


Cedar Beach, Mount Sinai

Today I went to the store intending to snap some pictures of the hurricane fever that's gripped the East Coast and instead, it was relatively quiet.  Two days ago, I stopped at a gas station to fill up my tank, (I didn't stop because Irene was coming for a visit, I stopped because my gas tank was EMPTY).  I had to wait in a line of cars just to get to the pump.  I had also planned to go to the supermarket but I put it off after attempting to buy school supplies in Wal-Mart and seeing lines that rivaled those of midnight on Black Friday.  I finally went today and consoled myself with the thought that I'd get some pictures of real insanity in the stores, but when I got there, it was almost a let down. 

No one's out anymore.  The bottles of water and batteries have been purchased.  Everyone is hunkering down, waiting for Irene.  Just an FYI - my grandmother's name was Irene.  She would have been so amused by all of this.  I think my grandfather would be even MORE amused, however.  He might have even commented that Irene was kicking some ASS...

This afternoon, when I showed my daughter a tree stump from a huge tree that fell down and blocked the road during Hurricane Gloria, I realized that landmarks are going to change around here in the next two days. So never mind the pictures of the preparation madness, instead I'm posting some more of the pictures I took at the beach the other day.  We can all hope together that it looks just as good a week from now.

Cedar Beach, Mount Sinai

Cedar Beach, Mount Sinai

Cedar Beach, Mount Sinai

Cedar Beach, Mount Sinai

Stay safe, everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Melinda, some of the photos you have posted are wonderfu.. Do you take some of them yourself? long Island is a wonderful place.. and you have captured so many beautiful scenes. From the lighthouse which is how I found your blog on google images, to the woncerful husky in the snow, cars covered in, and the spellbinding empty lifeguard chair at a beach. Such a poigant snap shot of a beautiful world. Thanks for aharing your vision so wonderfully!

    As a Long Island fan.. you have great material to work with. Hope you are keeping it up when you can : ) Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the compliment! Yes, I take all the photos myself except for the one of my dog who passed away - that was taken by my sister and used with her permission, and the ones in the guest posts, which were taken by my friend. I love it here - so much to see and do, and I love the changing weather. Thanks for reading! - Melinda

    ReplyDelete