Thursday, April 26, 2012

Montauk Lighthouse

Montauk Lighthouse with the caretaker's house in front

 A few weeks ago we took a drive out to Montauk.  It was a beautiful day, and when in Montauk, why not check out the lighthouse, right?


We walked all around, checking out the beach...

the beach in front of Montauk Lighthouse


Took pictures of the shoreline...

Montauk Beach





...the interesting items on the beach



Montauk Lighthouse, caretakers cottage and surrounding parkland

...and generally enjoyed the beautiful views. 
the view from in front of the Montauk Lighthouse



So by the time we actually got to the lighthouse and the caretaker's cottage, we had exactly...  12 minutes to look around.  


I thought the light thingy was cool.  I didn't have time to read the sign describing what it was actually called.  


I did have time, though, to take this slightly blurry picture of the door to the tower.  That's because I was not quite brave enough to go all the way to the top of the tower.  

Looking out the Montauk Lighthouse window

After walking on those spirally steps and seeing how the walls closed in more and more the further we went up (something I probably noticed MORE because of the YEARS I've spent listening to my darling husband tell me how claustrophobic he is)...I decided 12 minutes was not nearly enough time for me to appreciate climbing to the top.  


What a wimp I am. 


But it was a really beautiful day for early spring.





...and it was so much nicer outside.




No comments:

Post a Comment