Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hummingbird, flying crayfish or weird bug?



     While we were in Williamsburg, Virginia, we spotted this weird, flying... thing outside a restaurant.  It was flitting back and forth between flowers and hovering in front of the tubular shaped ones, leading me to believe it was a hummingbird.  It was moving so fast, however, that I couldn't see it clearly.  I could tell that it was brownish, but before I got a good look at it, it flitted to another flower.  My husband thought it looked like a flying crayfish.   It was only after we got home, though, and I was able to see it on the much larger computer monitor, that I could tell it was most likely NOT a hummingbird.

     My question is... what the HELL is it?  It actually looks... hairy.  The whole family has speculated, but the only thing we seem to agree on is that it's NOT a bird.

     We're stumped, intrigued, and  since it was rather large, and buzzing around us quite closely, grossed out.

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment