Saturday, August 24, 2013

Over-the-Top Flowered Headband

Now that the summer is almost over, I am frantically trying to make headway in doing the things that I've put off all summer.  I am an expert at task avoidance when it comes to certain tasks.   So yesterday, instead of cleaning out a closet or two, I decided to make this headband.

I purchased the items to make this over a year ago.  I loved the roses, and I thought the green/pink one would be great for St. Patrick's Day.  However, I couldn't figure out how to make a headband that was not over-the-top.  And then yesterday I thought to myself, "Oh what the hell, I'll just make an over the top headband, and then I can wear it for Crazy Hat Day."   For those of you who have never heard of Crazy Hat Day, it's a day during Spirit Week at school when everyone wears a crazy, ostentatious hat. If you don't attend the Kentucky Derby, then you need a Crazy Hat Day.

I recommend this craft for those of you out there who have used a hot glue gun before.  If you haven't, you'll probably be frustrated getting the flowers to stick without burning yourself.  If you like hot glue projects and silk flowers, you might just think you're Martha Stewart after this one.

Here are the details of the headband's creation...

I purchased:
1 large pink and green rose
1 medium sized purple rose
1 sprig of pink gerber daisies (about 6 flowers)
3 sprigs of small pink flowers
3 sprigs of purple beaded flowers.
1 fat headband
1 yard of light green cotton ribbon, about 1-1/4 inches wide.

1.  I heated up my glue gun.  I wrapped the ribbon around the headband, gluing the ends of the ribbon on the top side of the headband so it didn't make a bump that would annoy the wearer.  I also glued every inch or so as I wrapped it around the headband so the ribbon stays in place nicely.

2.  Then I snipped the stems off each of the roses - pretty close to the flower, but not right at the base.  I saved the leaves - never know when they'll come in handy!!  I was afraid the would fall apart if I cut the stems completely off.  I bent the remaining stem of each so that it would lie fairly flat.

3.  I glued each of the roses on the headband - on the side, but not TOO far on the side.

4.  I snipped the daisies off the cluster and after deciding how high I wanted them to sit off the headband, I bent their stems at a 90 degree angle at that point.  I then shaped the part that would sit on the headband into a rounded shape so it would adhere to the headband better.

5.  At this point I added some sprigs of pink and green, trying to balance out the headband a bit.  I also added some in between the large flowers.  When I had most of the my flowers glued on, I added some leaves to cover up the glue-mess. 

6.  Lastly, I added a pink daisy and a few more sprigs to decorate the leaves a bit.  

I know the dog looks cute wearing this, but she really didn't care for it much.  Here is is on my head.  

Front view

One side...

The other side...

Back view.

I'm thinking I could get a lot of mileage out of Crazy Hat Day.  I work with loads of nice people who don't have a crafty bone in their bodies, but I bet they'd love to wear a crazy hat during Spirit Week.  I think I NEED to make several more crazy hats of different varieties...

In summation, I've completed another craft project AND avoided several cleaning projects.

My work here is done for today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment